Wednesday, February 25

exploring the Trapper Keepers....

These trapper Keepers are from 1990. I retrieved them from my parents home this past November. Each holds my treasures from an amazing program I took part in at in 1990, called ECHT. European Cultural History Tour has since broken the tour into smaller but equally intense and rewarding educational tours. The tour I took part in started in London and ended in Egypt, we visited 14 countries, studying along the way. We had a Political Science, History, English and Art professors along who gave lectures corresponding to our location. I have been processing what I learned that semester ever since. But this is the first time I have looked at the contents of the Trapper Keepers since then.
I have decided to make a project of organizing what lies inside. As you can see there is a lot of ground to cover here. Back in 1990 I was in graduate School studying painting. I had little money and worked multiple jobs to cover expenses. Most of the other participants were well off and bought expensive keep sakes at each location, ate in fancy restaurants and sent books and treasures home along the way. I ate, bread and cheese and collected scrapes of paper as mementos...and here they are.
Our fist item is a news paper from Istanbul Turkey, 1990. Check it out, Bon Jovi, Milli Vanilli and La Toya! I have a rush of memories from our time in Turkey. The reason I kept this paper was that in it is a photo of some Turkish soap opera stars. The night before a bunch of us were at a restaurant and at the next table were these soap stars. For some reason they zoned in on me! I was the only one in our group who had my head covered, maybe that is why?...in any case they started buying me Ouzo. Proclaiming in broken English: it is mothers milk drink-drink!..and I did. Soon they had me up on the dance floor doing a really bad version of their traditional dance.
The next thing I knew there were photographers with old timey flash bulbs snapping photos of the American with the soap stars! Yes, Turkish poparazzi appeared out of nowhere! It was a great night!
Here is some other things in the paper, Horiscope's
and I love this, it's the Turkish, Lockhorns!...or close to it.

My plan is to explore these priceless scrapes of paper and organize them in order in a scrap book. One item down a whole bunch to go!
onward.....

No comments: