Monday, November 26

Rhipicephalus sanguineus on your face

Frankenstein likes to sleep under the covers in our bed. This morning like every other, he wakes me with sweet puppy kisses. This morning was no different. But when my eyes opened I noticed his beauty mark on the side of his face was bulbous. Experience had taught me what this was..a fully engorged tick and not his beauty mark at all. The various kinds of ticks look about the same when fully engorged but I am pretty sure this one was a Brown Dog Tick.

When I ran my dog walking biz. One of my duties was tick removal. Alpha a Bernese Mt. Dog who weighed 110 lbs and was at least 10 times bigger than Frankenstein was my tick removal training grounds. It took 2 of us to climb over him and locate the suckers. Some days we would find up to 10 in different stages of engorgement.

The big difference here is scale. If the dog to tick size ratio was the same on Frankenstein as Alpha. A fully engorged tick on Alphas face would have been the size of a plum. Now consider plucking that from his face, before you have had your morning coffee. Good morning!



No comments: