Wednesday, October 6

what's up Wednesday




This piece is still not quite finnished but it is almost there. It was inspired by a trip to Hadad's Lake here in Richmond VA. Hadad's is like an 80's teen camp movie set. With all the trimmings. But the most distinct thing about it is the magical color of the water, or should I say frightening! It is the most unnatural color of blue green-ever. Yes, I did swim in that crazy coo-coo water, and lived to tell the tail.

The bottle is a Vernor's bottle. Vernor's soda or should I say pop, was a big part of growing up in Detroit. Made in Detroit! It made your tummy feel good when you were sick, it made your tummy extra happy when it was combined with ice-cream--yummy! It was medicine and a treat and the big sign was there smiling over Woodward Ave. I still keep a few bottles around just incase I need it for my stomach, head or to taste a bit of my childhood.

The crystals and star piece are things I found in NY and have kept for years. I used to find crystals shed off of chandlers when I walked dogs in the city. Louis a big ol Rhodesian Ridgeback and I walked past a parking lot that served as a flea market on the weekends. Each Monday I looked forward to snagging a few crystal treasures from the asphalt lot and stuffing them in my pocket, like shells on a beach.

My friend Tere has been doing reliquaries, one new one each week, check them all out, her work is amazing. It inspired me to dip into my treasures, the relics of my life for some of the new work. In this case it is incapsulating odd summer memories from my hometowns, Detroit, NY and Richmond...what a strange trip it has been!

Finally, it is all topped off with the creepy summer moon smiling down on my memories.

Onward!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the lalie cadabs

tracey said...

Mr.Eleven gets grossed out by the word, but they still taste delicious!