Thursday, May 27

Monkey-Deer process







I wasn't able to get a good photo of the finished surface, it looks like Lapis, like carved and buffed Lapis Lazuli.

I am trying to make things using eco friendly products--as much as possible. This sculpture is made from a product called: Creative Paper Clay. It is made of volcanic ash, talc, water, starch, wood pulp, preservative. I love it! I made the head at the end of last year and it sat in my studio till I dreamed about the Monkey Horse a month ago. I made a quick wire armature then built up the Paperclay around it. It air dries. Wet clay will adhere to dry, it sands easily, which enables you to add or subtract as needed.

Next came color. I have been using Milk Paint for over a year now and love it. Again it has a short list of ingredients is water based and non toxic. The colors are fantastic! I painted layer after layer and sanded between. The milk paint can also be worked into the wet paperclay. To finish the surface I stained it with a wash of turp and oil paint-then rubbed it out. I was hoping to not have to use any oil, but there were a few flaws that the water based stuff just wouldn't cover. --It is just a whisper of oil paint.

So far I am finding these new tools extremely flexible and forgiving. Good things to come!

Onward!

--just a quick note I am not giving up on oil paint! I love oil paint. I just wanted these to be water based and basically almost edible. The paper mache I am using on the new animal sculptures is made with whole wheat flour and salt. You can add cinnamon if the oder bothers you.

No comments: