Thursday, December 6

This time of year





This time of year means craft projects. When I was a kid the thing I most wanted to find under the tree were craft kits. Things like paint by numbers, candle making, leather work, string art. I made them all! If only there was Etsy back then.

For the past week I have been crafting. One project was a sunglass case. I have to admit I am not very good at following instructions. I get caught up in the excitement of making things and have no time to read. So, when I felted the wool-soy yarn for the glass case (that just means washing it in hot water and running it through the dryer). It shrank a lot more than I though it would. It is now my little credit card wallet.

But my main project is making holiday cards. I never took print making in college. I did work for Emil Wedge a successful printmaker back in MI. But most of my duties involved taking care of his cats. He had over 30 outside and one big fat one inside who only ate shrimp. I cleaned his home and studio. He would do things like break into a flamenco dance and toss his pencil across the room. Then yell at me, as his assistant I should have anticipated his move and had a new sharp pencil in his hand, before the other hit the floor. We did produce an addition of a stone lithograph. But, I screwed it up by tracing one of the layers on the stone backwards. We printed it anyway and he sold it. I am very good at cleaning and caring for animals but my printmaking skills are not so good.

It took me about 4 hours to rip the rice paper into squares for the cards. I printed yesterday. I think it went well. I printed 60 prints and they all look consistent. I don't know if they are good or not but I think they are cool.

Since our nabe across the street are super Christmas celebrators. They have had tons of lights on their house since the week before Thanksgiving. They add new lights each Sunday. Our house looked so sad and empty next to theirs, so I put some lights up too.

I didn't get photos of this. But check this out. At the end of our street are a bunch of Churches. Last weekend in front of one was a huge banner: Drive-thru Live Nativity Sat and Sun 7-9. Yes, they actually had a live Nativity, a Happening, a drive thru! Mr. Eleven and I drove by just before it started. Picture Three little stages in a church parking lot. In the first an Angel telling Mary she has been sperminated by god. The second had the wise men and some Lamas. In the third, the traditional baby on the ground with a bunch of folks looking on. Also, goats and sheep tied to near by trees. We saw it before it started from the red light we were stopped at. The wise men had Starbucks to-go cups, in hand! Conceivably, you could go to the McDonald's drive-thru and then hit the Nativity, get your 'church on' and then head to the Mall. Magic!

It snowed yesterday. Just for a few hours then the sun came out and it was gone. Just enough to remind you it is winter. It has been getting colder too. Not crazy cold and harsh weather like my friend in Seattle has been haveing or the freezing rain that hit Michigan. But cold enough that this poor Robin had to chip away at the ice on the birdbath to get his morning drink.

It is that time of year, for crafts, colored lights and ice. It is also the time of year for the weirdness of a live nativity. A time when eating a full tin of homemade candy is OK. A time when maybe a little magic can be found.

4 comments:

jjtv said...

Hi - Just found your blog today. Love your work. I wish I could see more - it appears that a lot of the links are broken. Maybe it's just my browser.
Anways, very nice. My compliments.

Anonymous said...

Why, thank you! No, it isn't you it is Bloger, hopefully, they can get the kinks worked out soon. Posting photos has been a bear for a while now. You can see more of my work at: http://www.myspace.com.traceystpeter

rv said...

emil sounds awesome. holy shit.

your paintings are gorgeous. it's so nice to be able to see them.

can you pet the sheep? you should pet them. they feel weird.

Anonymous said...

I house/cat sat for Emil for a week once. I used the fat indoors cat's shrimp for my dinner a few times. When Emil came back he said when he opened the freezer (where the shrimp were)the cat got mad, made weird noises and stomped around...I think the cat is trying to tell me something?!
Now, I want to pet a sheep.