Wednesday, November 14

The Yellow Cube

I love my new yellow cube. It is a salt and pepper shaker. But more than that, it represents a link to my past and a step towards the future. This blog is about finding my way after, change. I have had my share of changes. Each one seems to have helped me deal with the ones to come. For instance having my first husband abandon me and getting hit by a truck prepared me for the after shock of living through September 11th. Standing on the bank of the East River watching it go down. Thinking, here we go, everything is different. Like hitting the refresh button on the computer. Everything disappears then reappears. It is never the same, but sometimes it is more different...sometimes way more!

I saw a great review of Laura Parnes work at Hungry Hyaena Blog the other day [I am ashamed that I haven't loaded the link code yet. So, sorry you will have to find it yourself in my daily reading links] The idea is about change that looks the same, like when you hit the refresh button on your computer. She actually got her name changed legally, to her same name...new, different but the same.
The cube is a link, like the link code I have a mental block about loading. A link to Design, to art school to the Tracey who dreamed of changing the world with design and loved the lower case Helvetica letter e. I am the same Tracey, refreshed, new but different.

When I placed my cube on the kitchen counter it nailed down the room. Just as the right brush stroke can nail down a composition. The previous owners of our house aesthetic tastes were more, 80's Country-Cozy. My vision is more, Mid-Century Modern or Classic Modern. This little inexpensive yellow cube tipped the scales, the room feels like my room, now. Just a small re-fresh, the room is the same but different. I love my yellow cube!



No comments: