Thursday, November 15

It is raining in Richmond

We can use the rain. I am waiting for my paint to arrive. Hopefully today will be the day. I actually ran out of white paint. White paint is pretty important so, no painting till it arrives. I have been doing a lot of little line drawings lately. Kind of Keith Harringish. I did a mess of them when we first moved to Richmond. The first ones were more like fat graffiti clouds. The new ones are people with heads and arms and legs.

Lately I have been thinking of Detroit. Of the people I knew and places I left so long ago. I even started listening to WDET radio pod casts daily. Life in Richmond is a lot more like life in Detroit than NY. We just have more blue sky days and a lot less snow, here.

The line drawing, people, are reminiscent of ones I did in grad school. I was totally copping off of my adviser. He was and will always be one of my favorite people. I heard he died a few years back. It is still so hard for me to believe he is no longer on this earth. I looked but can't find any of his work on line. It is a shame, it was pure joy! Think Dubuffet figures, with a touch of Matisse cutouts a truck load of humor, pinch of love and bold amazing color.

Back when I was trying to emulate my hero's drawings I was never successful. Poorly executed, awkward copies. But the ones I have been doing lately are mine. An accumulation of a lot of experience and a deeper connection to my center. I still don't know how to judge them. I like them and I like doing them. I think that is what matters. They bring me closer to my memories of Jan. Closer to my center...

It is raining in Richmond, we can use the rain. I think I will sit in the cozy dry house and draw.



No comments: