Wednesday, October 31

Wonder Woman Wednsday


I am not the sort to dress up like Wonder Woman for Halloween. I don't have a huge comic book collection and not one action figure. My connection to the Amazon Princess stems form this reissued first addition comic. It was on a family vacation in North Carolina in 1975. We were allowed to pick one thing from the gift shop, this was my choice. It has been with me ever since. From the first page I was in love. I still get chills when I look at the pages. In Umberto Eco's amazing book, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, he masterfully explores how memory is linked, anchored and triggered by our pop culture experience. But there is more to it, than that, it is the way the comic book is printed the dots and color bleeds, the sexual undertones, it is chalk full of war time and race propaganda. But most of all Wonder Woman Kicks Ass! I will showcase either a painting with Wonder Woman or a panel from the comic each Wednesday.

No comments: