Wednesday, February 20

THDP lives on

A few weeks back I got a really nice note from Rena over at Peace Arena. She became a peace and justice activist partly due to reading The Hundred Dresses as a girl. It is really exciting meeting people from all over the country who's lives have been shaped by this little book.
I didn't post it right away because I have been feeling guilty about the fact that I have put THDP on the back burner for now. But the truth is, it is in me, part of who I am. It is always there weather I am painting 100 paintings in a row or not. Right now it is, not. Right now, I am exploring other tangents.
My graduate Thesis exhibition, (we are talking 1991) was based on counting to 100. It came out of being in school for so many years. You get to a point where counting days, credits, sleepless nights is all you can comprehend. The work (I only have it on slides not digital yet) was sculptural, oil paint on metal sheets and other building materials. It was inspired by Chinese calligraphy. Basically I painted numbers 1-100 over and over in layered flowing color on solid sculptural forms.
The book is like a root that can grow many kinds of flowers. Even if you cut the flower, another will grow. Hopefully more beautiful and poignant than the last.
Onward!

No comments: